What challenges needed to be resolved and what specific benefits were achieved?
Manufacturing companies must adapt their production to individual batch sizes and products based on individual customer requirements and shorter product life cycles quickly and efficiently. At the same time, these assembly systems must meet industry 4.0 requirements such as traceability, interoperability, decentralized control, communication and data analysis. In addition, international competitive pressure is increasing due to globalization. To meet these challenges, Desoutter has developed an innovative product in assembly that enables continuous optimization of production according to the requirements of lean management in combination with Industry 4.0.
Desoutter customers benefit from the innovative Industrial Smart Hub CONNECT in boosting their:
- CONNECT networks up to 20 WiFi tools and serves as a platform for connecting further assembly accessories. This eliminates the installation of additional hardware, as it has the ability to control everything at the same time and the environmental impact is minimized through lower energy consumption.
- Communication range of the Industrial Smart Hub can be easily extended via an access point. This allows long distance communication between the tool and the Industrial Smart Hub.
- The Industrial Smart Hub CONNECT offers the possibility to install additional functions trouble-free through Feature Management, so that the users only use what is needed.
- Communication takes place on a vertical and horizontal level with components, tools, robots and ERP systems for high interoperability in the Smart Factory.
- Use of various protocol languages.
- Automatic transfer of the necessary tightening programs through communication with ERP systems and the realization of a batch size 1 production.
- Real-time analysis of the tightening results and fulfillment of the requirements of VDI/VDE 2862.
- Traceability of the assembly process (all data is stored in a central database
- Continuously improving the assembly process through data analysis with Desoutter's CVI NetWeb Cloud application.
- Intelligent error detection and automatic notification via E-Mail.
- Accurate location analysis of the tools and locking them outside of a predefined area of usage. This reduces the reject rate because users cannot use the industrial tools in all areas and this leads to an improvement in the product quality and customer satisfaction.
3. Up Time
- Global access via the internet to the Industrial Smart Hub for remote configuration, control and information.
Fast connection of wireless tools via RFID.
- Key figures can displayed and analyzed to optimize the assembly process (KPI Management).
- The Creation of a “digital twin” of the Industrial Smart Hub and storage of all information on the RIM (Removable Integrated Memory) medium. For the first time, it supports the Plug & Produce model. Reconfiguration is no longer necessary, which means that the installation of a new Industrial Smart Hub CONNECT can be carried quicker.
"The Industrial Smart Hub CONNECT is a gateway to the assembly process and implements Industry 4.0 for our customers. By connecting up to 20 wireless tools to our Industrial Smart Hub, productivity, flexibility and uptime are greatly increased whilst minimizing the environmental impact by consuming less hardware and energy. CONNECT is able to communicate with other production systems on the assembly line without any problems and has the ability to transfer all information to higher systems (e.g. MES, ERP) in real time. The system collects and handles all assembly data in real time, minimizing the transfer of defective components, increasing customer satisfaction and product quality. Desoutter has implemented feature management in CONNECT for the first time, which gives customers a platform where they can activate the functions according to their needs".
Matthias Noll, Marketing Manager
How can the Industry 4.0 approach be described?
The Industrial Smart Hub CONNECT is an intelligent gateway for the assembly process with integrated microcomputer and touch display (user interface). It communicates via WiFi with the wireless tools and can expand its range through access points. Due to the use of an Ethernet connection, it is able to communicate with higher-level systems (ERP, clouds, etc.). CONNECT has been especially programmed so that operators can easily integrate the Industrial Smart Hub into their Smart Factory. It distributes and controls tasks automatically and increases the degree of automation in a company!
What could be achieved?
- Rapid connection to the Smart Factory network
- Control of up to 20 WLAN tools via one CONNECT
- Wireless work and therefore increasing the flexibility of the staff
- Data collection and data transfer to a cloud for traceability
- Data analysis using software (CVINET Web) for continuous improvement of the assembly process
- Collaborative work with Cobots
- Productivity increase through location analysis of the tool and thus release the industrial tool for work at specific workstations (Virtual Cable)
What measures have been taken to achieve the solution?
With CONNECT, for the first time Desoutter has developed a platform in which 20 WiFi tools can be connected and all assembly data can be collected and forwarded to higher-level systems. At the same time, the assembly implements several lean management functions, which significantly reduces time, costs and environmental impacts. The system was designed by the innovation management, product management and R&D departments to support customers in digitizing the assembly process. Key customers from the automotive and mechanical engineering industries were particularly involved in the development of CONNECT. After a series of workshops, the requirements were derived and implemented in CONNECT. This is how the innovative Feature Management was developed! The Feature Management has been designed especially for the future requirements of the Smart Factory. For Desoutter customers this means that they can always look forward to new functions in the CONNECT!
What can others learn from it?
- Minimization of hardware through substitution and small dimensions meet the need for flexibility.
- Flexible Feature Management meets today's requirements for a customizable production environment and the idea of buying only what is needed.